Sunday, June 5, 2011

Facebook: out of my face

An absolutely good-riddance-to-bad-rubbish moment. I kept postponing it, thinking that mebe I shud just create a new, limited access, anonymous account, but then u know what? waaaay too much effort. I stay in touch thru gmail and gtalk, which is pretty much how i always have. Though, photo viewing I wud have to forfeit.
Towards the end of the deactivation, they ask you for ur reason for leaving facebook, and when u click on an option, they simultaneously display ways in which they can make it better for you. I wanted to click on several of those, including privacy concerns, not useful and too many invitations, but u gotta choose one and type the rest into the explanation box. So I went n clicked on each option to see what they suggest. And when i clicked on facebook is not useful, they tell me that I can use the friend finder and add more people to expand my network. Christ! A network! That’s just it! I don’t want a bloody network.
I get the concept of networks in a professional setting and if you translate that to the internet u have linkedin not facebook. Socially speaking, I want no networks. I just want to stay in touch with my people. MY people. Without all that white noise of random, barely-ever-spoken-to people n Farmville n pepper spray n status updates in the background. Or the effort of blocking off that white noise. 

3 comments:

Carpe Diem! said...

Bravo! :)

survivingbrain said...

Congrats!! Welcome to the un-networked club!
:)

@CD !! Werent you the one who said facebook was fun??:P:P

Carpe Diem! said...

No. It is addictive. And I will never be able to deactivate my account. Hence the admiration for people who can. :)