When I left my job in Icrier and returned to Kerala, the
idea was that I will find my creative calling and pursue it. First, there was
the idea of taking up writing of some sort, then interior designing, in between
I flirted with the idea of becoming a culinary mastermind specializing in desserts,
then a painter. But I didn't take up any of these.
The reason? The sum of all my fears never outweighed my
motivation. What were these fears? The fear of being stuck in Kerala! Of low
income (esp. in case of writing and painting). Of losing interest, of ending up
doing not quite what I thought I would do (interior designing and cooking).
But one day the scale tipped. It really, really tipped.
Maybe I was moving towards that day all along or maybe it was all in a
moment….the moment when I and H were sitting in her house in Cochin and I could
hear fear and concern ringing in all her timid words suggesting that I do
something. Something!
All of a sudden the process of evaluation and elimination of
all my various options became swift and simple. Writing, no, because I am never
quite inspired enough and because it will take me 10-30 years before I have the
necessary skills. An mfa in painting, only if I get full funding and if Acha
puts in some extra extra on top of it, which he won't. Culinary ding dong, boo
haa haa, I like eating not cooking. No to interior designing cos Acha will only
let me do it from Kerala.
Of course, I can still convince myself of ways in which I
can conquer the problems that these options pose. But I am never convinced
enough, am I? I can tell myself that there are still so many options I haven’t
considered. I can do that and I can float in a nice little loop of infinite
possibilities. But, No thanks. Because life doesn’t stretch out forever. I am
living on deadlines.
Instead, I choose my next four years to look like this:
living in a new country, studying hard, making a few new friends, having fun
during holidays, travelling, eating new things, maybe taking on a couple of
cheap, short term classes in between.
This is ofcourse a compromise and a bit of a long shot
at permanent happiness. But I think it is a good balance between
making a few necessary life changes, a healthy chance at being happy in the
near future and having a decent set of possibilities laid out before me four
years down the line.
I certainly don’t know whether managerial/entrepreneurial
research will prove to be any better a calling for me than economics. All I
know is that the math is easier, that I can take up courses on strategy and
psychology and understand causality better because a firm’s objective is pretty
straightforward. If in the end I go there and realize that things are no better
despite these subtle differences, I will have to buckle up and put my nose to
the ground. Because I want no half-ass nonsense this time.
2 comments:
good luck !
thanks!
Post a Comment